Sunday, February 24, 2013

REVIEW: Maybelline The Rocket Volume Express Mascara (waterproof)

You know those girls with the super long naturally thick curled lashes? Yah, that's not me. I'm pretty much the exact opposite of that. My lashes are quite nearly invisible without several coats of mascara, so I have a well developed appreciation for a good formula.

Not too wet or it will lose the curl, not too thick or the few lashes I have will clump together to resemble a hairy spider leg, and not too dry or it will leave tiny black flakes all over my cheeks. This delicate balancing act disqualifies the vast majority of mascaras out there. The extra waxes in a waterproof formula are almost a requirement or the minuscule curl I can coax out of these stumpy babies will disappear. The only non waterproof formula that has EVER worked for me is Shu Uemera, and that is also the brand of my holy grail lash curler.

I am a big fan of a few of Maybelline's waterproof mascaras: The One by One, The Falsies, Lash Discovery, Define a lash and Full & Soft. Since mascaras should be replaced every 3-4 months, I prefer to not pay for high end mascaras when the drugstore has so many great affordable alternatives. I had high hopes for this one when I saw the new displays at CVS.


I picked up the Very Black shade and the first time I used it I hated it. My lashes clumped together, didn't seem lengthened at all and the result was a smudgey awful mess. It went into the TO RETURN pile. Yes, there is a pile, don't judge me.

Before - straight barely visible lashes
A couple weeks later I had received my Ipsy bag and tested a LashCard out with the Rocket mascara. I am not sure if it was the LashCard or if it was the week or so where the formula dried out a little, but it was like a different mascara. My lashes were nicely volumized, hung onto its curl like a CHAMP, and looked fluttery fabulous. I do find that this mascara needs a little extra babying with lash separation, and a quick brush thru with a clean spoolie or a lash comb works wonders.

Curl? check.  Length? A little.  Volume?  Check.  
Don't let it dry in between coats or you may see a wee bit of flaking.

Testing out the waterproof claim in the shower, the mascara stays on but the curl droops and pretty much is gone from the moist heat. Removal is easiest with an eye makeup remover that is for waterproof mascara. Using soap and water will just leave you with raccoon eyes and force you to use eye makeup remover afterwards anyhow.

Retails for about $8 at the drugstore

OVERALL GRADE: B+








No comments:

Post a Comment