Monday, February 11, 2013

REVIEW: Maybelline Super Stay 24 HR foundation


I seem to be on a foundation review kick lately but I'll be the first to admit, I love me a good drugstore foundation.

Some of the things I look for in a foundation:

Color match to my NC25-NC30 skin, a light medium with distinctly yellow undertones
No pooling in my pores or fine lines or emphasizing dry patches
A demi matte to matte finish that balances out my naturally combination to oily skin
Minimal blotting and no major touch up required throughout the day
A smooth flawless look with a minimum of fuss,
And a pony.  Just kidding about the pony, kind of.

I dragged myself away from the current favorite foundation (CG 3in1 Stay Fabulous) to give the Maybelline SuperStay 24HR foundation a decent go.  It had been sitting in my medicine cabinet for about a month after a couple of test runs, and I had remembered really liking it so it went for a hard core spin this weekend.

I wake up early, and I mean EARLY, as in 5am before the sun is up early.  It's an occupational hazard when you are a Mama to 2 very active little boys.  Putting my makeup on is part of a daily ritual that helps me wake up every day, and trust me, the dark circles under my eyes could use all the help I can get.  I had originally started out with the shade Classic Beige 60 which after wearing a few times I thought was a bit too dark for my winter skin.  I've been religiously wearing sunscreen as well so my color has gotten progressively lighter than my summer swatched NC30.

I picked up Nude 50 which has a good bit more yellow in it than the Classic Beige and is a tad lighter as well which I think suits me nicely.  I primed my skin with some Smashbox Photo Finish light primer first, then applied two thin coats of the Maybelline using a damp Beauty Blender.  It has been my go to method of liquid foundation application lately.  My poor Sigma F80 languishes away in a corner writing lovelorn poetry to me that remains unread.  The consistency is a bit on the thick side, and the lack of a pump on the bottle makes for a bit of a mess.  I really wish Revlon and Maybelline would get with the program when it comes to pumps for all their foundations.  Neutrogena too come to think of it (Healthy Skin I'm looking at you).

After letting the foundation set for a few minutes I took a tissue and swiped my forehead to see how much would transfer to clothing. There was a very faint hint of foundation transferred, so I would say that it's transfer resistant but not transfer proof by any means.

Pretty good match with a decent amount of yellow undertone
Pores galore baby :(



As you can see in the close up, this foundation doesn't pool or settle into my pores but it doesn't smooth over them either like some foundations do. If you have prominent pores like I do, invest in a good pore filling primer to wear underneath this foundation.

I took this foundation along for a 5 mile run to see how it would hold up to serious sweating. As you can see below the coverage is largely intact, with a bit of wear along my forehead (where it rubbed against my hat) and around my nose. When I touched my skin the foundation had lost its smooth finish and had a very subtle grittiness to it. That wasn't very pleasant but not noticeable to anyone else.

Over all tho it performed really well.

           

\

Packaging: B-
Color Match: B+
Longevity: A
Finish: B

OVERALL GRADE: B

DISCLAIMER: I bought this with my own money and am not affiliated with Maybelline at all. All opinions are solely my own

No comments:

Post a Comment