Sunday, February 3, 2013

REVIEW: Covergirl 3 in 1 Stay Fabulous Foundation

Covergirl's latest contribution to the long wear foundation trend is the Outlast 3 in 1 Stay Fabulous Foundation.

"All-in-one foundation with a long-lasting formula that fuses primer, concealer, and foundation in one easy step! The 3-in-1 formula provides a flawless look that lasts all day long"

I saw it in the drugstore over the holidays but since it was so new, I wasn't sure which ones were yellow undertones or pink undertones.  It comes in 14 different shades and retails for around $9 at the drug store.  I ended up picking it up during a BOGO 50% off sale, and got two shades, Buff Beige and Natural Beige.  The Natural Beige ended up being a bit too dark for my skintone which is somewhere between an NC25 and NC30 these days, and went back to the store.

It comes in a nice pump bottle which I really like.  The pump itself is pretty controllable and easy to dispense as little or as much as you need.  Turning the top of the pump wil lock it closed which is nice to avoid any accidental dispensing.  The inside of the cap can get a little smeared with foundation if you don't wipe the top of the cap off after using it.  Overall tho - the packaging is pretty good.  The consistency of the foundation is liquid but not runny, and it did not have any offensive smell that I noticed.


Swatch comparisons
Buff Beige 825 - lighter medium with yellow undertone
I skipped the primer with this foundation since it supposedly doesn't need one in it.  After moisturizing my face I used two pumps, using a damp beauty blender I put on two thin layers over my entire face, and found that it builds very nicely without looking cakey.   The coverage is medium and easily buildable to full coverage with extra layers.  I set it with a light dusting of Revlon's Nearly Naked Powder in Light.

You can't see this in photographs but this foundation could really have used a good primer.  My skin has some drier patches as well as pretty large pores on my nose and the foundation emphasized the pores.  The staying power wasn't the problem, it was more the smooth canvas that a good primer provides that this foundation didn't quite negate the necessity of.

Freshly applied, very nice match for my NC25-NC30 skin

Matte finish without looking flat






















During the day I kept an eye on how the foundation felt as my natural oils blended with it, and thought that it held up admirably well.  The areas right around the bottom of my nose and tops of my cheeks seemed to wear down first, but by the end of the day my face still looked quite flawless.    My T zone was not overly greasy and I'd say by the end of the day my skin had taken on a rather lovely luminosity.  It did become more settled into my pores as the day wore on, especially on my nose, and using a finger to blend out any minor creasing seemed to work pretty well.

It held up as well as Revlon Colorstay Whipped, Maybelline SuperStay 24hr, or Rimmel's 25 Hr foundations and has definitely become a favorite. I would recommend this to anyone with oily/combination skin who is looking for medium to full coverage that has some serious lasting power and doesn't feel or look heavy when applied.  This is what I wish the Kat Von D Lock It Tattoo foundation felt and looked like.


8hrs after application
Minimal wear down after 8 hrs

I think this foundation would work really well if you have normal/combination/oily skin, the mattifying properties might be too drying otherwise.  I highly recommend using a good primer so you are starting with a smooth base, and using either a damp Beauty Blender style sponge to stipple/bounce it against your skin to give you the best finish.  I tried it with fingers (cakey), a Real Techniques buffing brush and a Sigma F80 (emphasized pores) and the Beauty Blender did the best job.  Your mileage may vary.


What else I have on:

Eyes: UD Snakebite on the lid, Bare Minerals Ready The Star Treatment palette (peachy bronze shimmer in the crease, Wet n Wild's Brulee under the brow, Bobbi Brown Slate on the brows

Mascara:  Maybelline One by One Waterproof to set the curl, The Falsies to lengthen and volumize

Cheeks: Milani Luminoso blush, LORAC Spotlight highlighter, and NYX Matte Bronzer to contour

Lips:  Revlon Lip Butter in Peach Parfait


Packaging: A
Color Match: B+
Longevity: A
Finish: A

OVERALL GRADE: A

DISCLAIMER: I bought this with my own money and am not affiliated with Covergirl at all. All opinions are solely my own

ADDENDUM: I've been wearing this foundation exclusively for the last week and I can say emphatically that it is AMAZING. The finish stays flawless all day (with the use of a primer) and my skin just looks incredible. I've never gotten as many compliments on my skin as I have since I started using this foundation. I'd even say that it makes me look 10 years younger than I am (full disclosure - turning 40 in December). It is magical folks and has displaced Revlon Colorstay Whipped as my HG drugstore foundation. Do yourself a favor and try it. Buff beige is a teeny bit on the too light side for me but I think it is still a pretty good match when used with a touch of bronzer.

Adding a picture of a few different shades that are near to NC30 - hope this helps! They seem to be a peachy undertone so neither too pink or too yellow



After some trial and error, I think the best match I've found for my particular skin tone is the Medium Beige 842.

3 comments:

  1. Thxxx so much help alot (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this! I've been using the Kat Von D Lock-It Foundation, and its so drying that the skin unfer my nose is cracking. Can't wait to try this instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So would you say medium beige for nc25 nc30

    ReplyDelete