Wednesday, February 27, 2013

REVIEW: Glossybox February 2013

The morning after walk of shame, the rumpled clothes, the guilt and the scent of bad decisions - I cheated on Birchbox and had a rather sordid dalliance with Glossybox.  After hearing people rave about their previous boxes, and the grass looking so much greener, I went and swallowed the $21/month subscription price and went for it.

My first box was a bit of a let down after all that build up.  Kind of like that flirtation that had been bubbling for months only to find out he was a slobbery kisser.  The box arrives late in the month, even though you get charged for it early in the month, and I bust that thing open as soon as I saw it, hoping for some goose bump inducing beauty deliciousness.

International traveler themed Glossybox
Nice packaging but I would have been happier with craptastic packaging if the products were amazing. The magazine was nice to flip thru but nothing earth shattering.

The first thing I pulled out was a liquid eyeliner from a brand I'd never heard of before, LiSi.  A full size which was nice, but unfortunately, in a color that I will never wear.  How old is your target market Glossybox?  Cause 2 out of the 4 items are completely ridiculous for me.  Couldn't you have sent me a glittery black, or bronzey brown, even anything green olive blue or purple would have been preferable to an iridescent white.  I can't even use it as a shadow base like I could if it were a cream eyeshadow.

Full size in a color I'd never wear, yay?
The eyeliner itself isn't bad, its very similar to Stila's glitter liners, and need a couple of minutes to dry but once dry resist rubbing.  They are not waterproof however and come off easily with a rinse.  The color is a tad streaky, so if you are hoping for a one swipe opacity, you aren't getting it with this.  (Stila's liners also suffer from this problem).  I MIGHT use this for an inner corner highlight, but it seems a bit of a pain when I have a great NYX jumbo pencil in Cottage Cheese that works fabulously for that already.
Swatches of the eyeshadow and liner
Nail Rock polish stickers, from the same company that makes LipRock and EyeRock makeup stickers.  *sigh*  For reals?  Half leopard print and half metallic hot pink?  I mentioned in a previous post that I thought LipRock stickers made you look like you had an exotic form of herpes, and it would seem the sores can be spread to your nails too.  If the stickers had been entirely leopard print OR pink I could have considered wearing them, but I'm about two decades too old to pull this off.  And by the way - get off my lawn!
From lip herpes to nail herpes?
The soap sample was the one thing in the box that I thought was lovely.  The scent is from the White Tea perfume and I am looking forward to using it.  It made the entire box smell really good, but the scent is strong.  Hopefully it doesn't translate quite as strongly onto the skin.

Nice size, very strongly fragranced
I don't really have a problem with blemishes aside from maybe a hormonally induced zit once a month but not enough to really see much use out of the Evologie sample.  Hey Glossybox, why did I fill out a questionnaire again?  Just curious.



I'm kind of over the whole loose mineral pigment thing.  They are messy, a pain to apply sparingly and really don't have much appeal to me when there are so many pressed alternative.  Hmm.. I may just turn it into a pressed highlighter.  I'll post a Tutorial on how to do that later this week.  The color is a pretty shimmery golden beige and I'd use it very lightly to the tops of my cheek bones for a highlight color.

Eyeshadow/highlighter
Overall I'd give this month's Glossybox a C grade, and will check out one more month before deciding if I want to continue my subscription. 

Come on Glossybox - impress me!  Make me forget all about my old flame, Birchbox!

No comments:

Post a Comment