Monday, March 11, 2013

REVIEW: Rimmel Lasting Finish 25hr Foundation

I like long wearing foundations.  I figure that if I am going to bother with putting foundation on at all - it should last the entire day, and still look great when I take it off at night.  Being a mom of two young boys, my days start very early and end late, usually with some vigorous activities in between.  If a foundation can't keep up with that, it is not worth the effort and money to put it on.

I did not have any prior experience with Rimmel foundations, but I'd seen a few reviewed on YouTube so I wanted to check it out.  It is advertised to be sweat, heat, humidity and transfer proof for up to 25 hours.  Not that you would want to be wearing any makeup for 25 hours but I get the point.  The Rimmel display at CVS was woefully short on foundation shades,  I think there were only 4 or 5 available in this foundation.  That combined with the lack of testers always makes for a wonky color match and this was no different.  The one that looked the most like a yellow undertone foundation was 200 Soft Beige.



Unfortunately, newp, not yellow, it was a pink undertone and too light to boot, on my NC25-NC30 skin it gave me a rather deathly pallor.  Cause everyone wants to look like a corpse right?  I think that the 202 Nude would have been a better match for me, but they didn't have any.

The consistency is a thick liquid, not runny or mousse-like.  The smell is a rather strong floral, which may turn some folks off.  The packaging is a squeeze tube, which is better than an open top bottle, but not as nice as a pump dispenser.

I used no primer underneath since it supposedly has a moisturizing "Aqua Primer" underneath. The coverage was light.  It did not cover up my sun damage and would require a good bit of concealer to get the kind of medium coverage that I prefer.  I applied it using both a flat top Sigma F80 brush (cakeface ugh)  and a wet Beauty Blender.  The sponge application was much smoother and not cakey at all.   This foundation did not layer too well, the more you apply (regardless of application tool) results in cake face.  This might not be the right foundation if you need more than light coverage and to even out your skin tone.


It did not settle into my pores or emphasize them which was good, and the finish is initially matte.



After a couple of hours of wear, you can see that my natural oils are showing in my T zone.   The effect is luminous and not greasy looking, but if you tend toward oiler skin, you will want to set this foundation to keep it from turning into an oil slick by the end of the day.  I did not use any setting powder or setting spray so I could test its longevity on its own.


Great blinding shiny forehead man!  10 hours into application, well short of the advertised 25 hour wear, my foundation is suffering a good bit from my oily skin.  It is wearing down in patches, and the areas that are dry have uneven spots and my under eye circles are definitely visible.  Normally I will have the same foundation on for 12 hours so the longevity of this one isn't looking good.


In this macro shot 14 hours after application and right before I'm about to wash my face, you can see the dry patchy bits under my eye and how my cheek pretty much has no foundation left on it.  25 hours my ass.

Patchy and clinging to my dry spots
Overall, this was not a great foundation for me.  I didn't like the coverage, finish or how it wore during the day and will not be reaching for it again.  That being said - if you have normal/dry skin and don't need much more than to even out your skin tone, this might be a good fit for you.

Packaging:  B
Color Match:  C
Longevity:  C
Finish: B

OVERALL GRADE:  C+

No comments:

Post a Comment