Wednesday, March 13, 2013

REVIEW: Garnier BB Cream for Combination/Oily Skin


I am a fan of Asian BB creams, specifically, the Korean BB creams.  They deliver on their promises and I've found that the western attempts at jumping onto this beauty bandwagon to fall short.  Most of the time the American "BB Creams" are nothing more than a glorified tinted moisturizer.  I had heard some good things about the new Garnier BB Cream made specifically for Combination/Oily skin (retail $12.99) and I had a coupon so why not.

It comes in two shades:  Light/Medium and Medium/Deep



I went with the Medium/Deep and it seems a little too dark for my NC25-NC30 skin tone.  I could see it get a little orangey as it oxidized and the lighter shade might have worked a bit better.  The consistency of this was pretty runny and I had to get it on my face pretty quick before it ran down my hand.  I used a damp Beauty Blender and no primer underneath this to see how well it would really control my oily skin.

The coverage is somewhere between light and medium.  It does a decent job of blurring your imperfections but it does not cover them up completely.  You can sell see the sun damage on my cheeks peek through, but it does not seem to pool into my pores or fine lines after initial application.  I did not set this BB cream with any powder like I normally would in the T zone.

It has a strong floral smell so if you are sensitive to fragrance, this might turn you off.  I did not notice it after application so it dissipates pretty quickly.


The photo below is after about 4 hours of wear and I think it looks really lovely.  The finish is just starting to get a little luminous from my natural oils blending with the BB cream.  The glow looks radiant and not greasy.  I am really liking this BB cream thus far, but am a little worried that the coverage will not make it to the end of my day through my oily skin.



Here we are 10 hours after application (sorry for the glass imprints on my nose).  You can see how oily my forehead has gotten, and the coverage is breaking down quite a bit.  After about 6 hours, the BB cream starts to wear off unevenly.  There are dry patches that the BB cream clings to if you look closer.


As in this close.  See on my nose there is some dry skin there and the BB cream is only left on the bits of skin.


Overall I think this is a really good drugstore BB cream.  It's got a decent SPF20, and looks pretty good for about 6 hours.  If you don't need a long wearing foundation, aren't looking for too much coverage, and like a natural look, this might be a nice match for you.

Packaging:   C
Consistency/Texture:   B
Longevity:  B-
Finish:  A

OVERALL GRADE:  B-

No comments:

Post a Comment