Tuesday, March 12, 2013

March 2013 Battle of the Beauty Subscriptions: IPSY vs BIRCHBOX - FIGHT!

I had the pleasure of receiving both a Birchbox and an Ipsy bag the very same day.   What better way to decide which was the better beauty subscription service than to let them duke it out to the death?

Contestant #1:  Birchbox March 2013 - "March Madness"

Compared to previous rather disappointing Birchboxes - this one was pretty strong showing.
  • Nick Chavez Beverly Hills Color Saver Shampoo ($22 for 8oz - sample is 1oz ~$2.75)
  • Whish shave cream (full size $20)
  • MAKE eyeshadow in Bentonite Clay (full size $18)
  • MAKE face primer SPF30 (woot!) (full size $30)
  • Madewell full size nail file ($5 retail)  
At least there are two make up related products in the box, they checked my profile and saw that I color my hair, and I'm looking forward to trying out the MAKE face primer.    The eyeshadow itself is a pretty common color, and I am sure that I have half a dozen similar shades in my collection but it's one that is universally appealing and I appreciate that.  (I'm looking at you Glossybox and your iridescent white liquid eyeliner).  The sample is about the size of a quarter.

The shampoo smells amazing - apples and citrus I think, and I cannot wait to try it out.  My hair is in pretty sorry shape after constant coloring, and a little TLC is always appreciated.  The shaving cream smells like blueberry which is pretty nice, but the full size is $20 and who really pays $20 for shaving cream?  Really?

Overall - Birchbox March 2013                GRADE B


Contestant #2 - IPSY Glam Bag 2013 - "The Great Escape"


Ipsy always has a built in advantage because their monthly subscription always includes a cute little makeup bag, and this month's bag has a nautical theme to it with an anchor print.   After only a few months I am however rather overstocked on makeup bags.  I'm going to have to start using them to gift things to people in.

Even though most of this month's Ipsy were just ok, there is one item that just is a standout.


  • La Fresh Makeup remover wipes (shrug)
  • Juice Beauty Hydrating Mist
  • YABY eyeshadows (not pigmented at ALL! :( )
  • GlamRX mini customizable palette
The Glam RX palette is similar to the Z Palette where it is magnetized and you can put your depotted eyeshadows into it and create your own custom palettes.   



Here I have depotted some Wet -n Wild shadows and put them into the GlamRX palette.  Some shadow pans are not magnetized so you may have to buy some magnets to stick to the back of the pan so it stays in there securely.  There is a high neato factor for this item.


Overall IPSY Glambag March 2013         GRADE B-

Gonna have to give it to Birchbox due to the solid selection of products overall, I know I'll use everything in the box.  IPSY did better in the make up department, but the shadows barely had any color payoff and I am never going to be wearing teal eyeshadow even if it did have good payoff.  The GlamRX palette wasn't enough to pull the rest of the items out of the weak column.

1 comment: