Monday, March 11, 2013

Duo chrome eyeshadows - the most bang for the buck

I have been a fan of duo chrome eyeshadows since I started wearing makeup in college and bought my very first MAC eyeshadow.  MAC Club is a smokey red brown with green duo chrome that changes color in different light and can do the work of several shadows for a one shadow easy eye look.  The appeal of shadows like this is you can swipe it all over your eyelid and as the light hits it in different ways, it can look like you have several different colors on.  For a busy mom, any shortcut in my make up routine is most appreciated.

Even more than I love a duo chrome, I love inexpensive alternatives to the high end cosmetics.  Here are a few shadows that I find that are a close match to the effect that MAC's Club gives you at varying price points.   All of these are very pigmented and the texture is buttery and not chalky.  The original MAC version actually can be a bit of a bear to work with, requiring several layers before you build up a decent amount of color.  The cheaper variations in this case actually work much better.




Comparing the price points:


  • MAC Club - $15.00
  • WnW Comfort Zone palette - $4.99 for 8 shadows
  • DaVinci Lava - $19.90
  • Urban Decay Mushroom - $18.00
  • Maybelline LE Eye Studio Quad Olive Martini - $4.99 for 4 shadows


I am wearing the Maybelline version here on my eyelid with the color blended upwards into the crease, you can see the greenish effect of the duo chrome here.  The changing color is notoriously difficult to photograph so trust me when I say it is just beautiful on the eye, and only takes a minute to sweep on and blend out.




This color also is amazing when used for a smokey eye look.  If you put it over a black base, the green really shows up and is quite dramatic.  Just use a soft black pencil to line the eye and smudge it out, then layer Club or one of its many dupes over top and you get instant drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment